dilluns, 16 de maig del 2011

The nuclear disaster in Japan - Nuclear Energy

Since I heard from the tsunami in Japan and the nuclear disaster that happened two months ago, I've been interested in what exactly failed to protect the facility and the population from this disaster as it was supposed to be safe. I'd like to explain what I found out.

First, from the news in the german television, I heard that the nuclear facility had emergency generators, so they could keep running the cooling system as long as they had enough oil. the only problem was that they were in the cellar of the building. So, when the tsunami entered the building the water went down and broke them. I think that wasn't thought out well when they built the nuclear plant.

Moreover, the Japanese government bought the nuclear technology directly from the USA, including the safety measures. In America, there aren't many tsunamis, if there are any. American nuclear facilities are secure for tsunamis up to 10m of height. In Japan, there are statistics that say that there is a bigger tsunami approximately every 10 years, so they would have needed higher security, but they put the same measures as in America. So I think it was quite clear that someday something would happen, but I think not even the Japanese govenment thought it would be such a disaster.

Finally, I think Japan should think over all of their nuclear facilities and secure them better so there won't happen anything like this again.

0 comentaris:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada