dilluns, 22 de novembre del 2010

My oral presentation



The transcription:

Good morning everybody, today Adrià and me will explain you about the topic of humour, more concrete, American sitcoms. So, does anybody know what sitcoms are? No? Don't worry, I'll explain you. (Question: What does sitcom mean?) That's what I'm going to explain now.
So, sitcom means situation comedy. It features characters in common environments like their home, working place, sometimes cafés or something like that. It's normally in TV series and the different episodes have an ongoing storyline, so they are linked together. Also the end of each episodes tends to put the characters in the same situation they were at the beginning, so normally there are conflicts during an episode but they are solved and so it's like a circle. It always ends where it started. There are many jokes, of course as they are humour series, and there are usually called running gags, jokes that are started sometimes at the start of the series and are repeated afterwards more times. Now were are going to explain you some different kinds, but before I want to ask you a question: So, now that you know what they are, do you know any sitcoms? In fact, they have already explained one of the series we are going to explain now. So we're going to start with one of the four we are going to explain, Adrià will start with How I met your mother.

(Adrià)

So, going on, we have The King of Queens. I don't know if it's very well known here, but I knew it when I was small and I liked it very much, so I decided to explain it. It is about a, well, not so typical American pair, Dough and Carrie. They share their home with Carries father Arthur. Dough works as a delivery driver and Carrie as a secretary. Arthur is a bit difficult so they usually get in some difficult situations, until a point when the couple decides to hire a dog walker to go for a walk with the dogs and with her father. It's also funny sometimes because Dough is very clumsy sometimes, as you will see in the video.

(Adrià)

And, finally, we have Scrubs. This series focusses on the point of view of it's main character, Dr. John Michael Dorian, also called JD, the short form, and his friends working at Sacred Heart Hospital after their university studies. In every episode, JD introduces the story and then it's told through the point of view of the other characters. And there are also many running gags, for example the Janitor, you're going to see in the video. JD is also, like the guy from King of Queens, a bit clumsy. And there are also sometimes unexpected situations or dialogues you don't expect at all. Ok, you're going to see some funny moments in the video, like a little best of.

(Video)

Allright, that was our little presentation about American sitcoms. I hope you liked the presentation and the videos. And I don't know if there are any questions? No? Then that's it.

-----

Here's my self-evaluation:

In Adrià's and my oral presentation, we used a Powerpoint with videos and some images. The powerpoint was very visual and rellevant to the topic because It shows examples of sitcoms, the topic we explained. It supported the presentation because it distracted people a bit and so I was a little bit less nervous. The timing of our presentation was also ok, about 10 minutes.

I tried to look at thie audience most of the time, but I ended up looking at the Powerpoint or Sònia sometimes. I read occasionally from my notes, when I get lost. Afortunately, is wasn't too many times, I think. I do some gestures, but they could have been more creative. But in general, I think in these points I got better than last year. I organised our ideas from general to particular things, so I started by explaining sitcoms in general and then we explained 4 examples of them. I think I used some discourse markers, but it could have been more.

I think I introduced some new information to our audience, explaining them sitcoms in general, because I think there are series they watch and they didn't know they were actually sitcoms. Our information was clear, but I don't really know if it could have been more detailed when we explained every sitcom. The general information about sitcoms is from the internet, but the information about every series is our own, only helped sometimes by a source (also internet). We watch the series, so we know what they are about.

My grammar was generally correct, I just messed up one or two times when I got confused. I could have used some synonyms more, for example for 'clumsy'. But despite that, my vocabulary was also OK, I think. I used sentence linkers like so (I actually use it a lot), as well as pause fillers: well, yeah, ok..

I generally knew how to pronounce the words I said (I always try to avoid using words I can't pronounce), I just got confused with the name of the main character from The King of Queens, Dough. I didn't check the pronunciation because I didn't use words I didn't know before. I tried to change my tone of voice sometimes to keep the attention, but in the video it doesn't come out much, so I don't know if I succeeded in that point. I had some breaks in my presentation, but I think they weren't so bad so people had time to think about what I had said before.

For my next presentation, I think I should improve again my body language and eye contact with the audience. And again, I should try to get more synonyms and control my nerves. But in general, I think our presentation was quite good, so I think a 8 would be my mark.

0 comentaris:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada